Slather Brand’s Classic Panzanella Salad by Colleen
Serving Size: 6
Active time: 30 minutes
- 2 1/2 pounds mixed tomatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 3/4 Trader Joe’s Ciabatta Baguettes cut into cubes
- 10 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 4 tablespoons of Slather Brand Food’s Slatherin’ Sauce available at www.slatheriton.com
- 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup packed basil leaves, roughly chopped
Step 1. Place tomatoes in a colander set over a bowl and season with 2 teaspoons kosher salt. Toss to coat. Set aside at room temperature to drain, tossing occasionally, while you toast the bread. Drain for a minimum of 15 minutes.
Step 2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F and adjust rack to center position. In a large bowl, toss bread cubes with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until crisp and firm but not browned, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
Step 3. Remove colander with tomatoes from bowl with tomato juice. Place colander with tomatoes in the sink. Add sautéed onions, garlic, fresh basil, red wine vinegar/tomato juice blend and a couple spoonfuls of Slather Brand Food’s Slatherin’ Sauce. This blend should thin out the sauce so the bread can absorb it. Whisking constantly, drizzle in the remaining 1/2 cup olive oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
Step 4. Combine toasted bread, tomatoes, and dressing in a large bowl. Add basil leaves. Toss everything to coat and season with salt and pepper. Let rest for 30 minutes before serving, tossing occasionally until dressing is completely absorbed by the bread.
Step 5. Serve it on arugula with sliced parmesan with a good white wine or rose’!